Check out the Pirhana Gob on Ole Steve-O
Have you noticed how many shots of Steve Stirling show him with this face? I watched the home-and-home on Center Ice, and Steve looked like this in every bench shot. Does he look the same when he's happy?
The world may never know, because no amount of knitted brows and underbite grimacing is gonna save this club. The Isles are a team adrift. Two days-two butt whoopin's from Peter Laviolette and the boys. Tell me again how Lavvy had trouble connecting with his Islander players? From Pete's bio-"As head coach of the Islanders during the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons, Laviolette led the team to the playoffs both seasons after the Islanders missed the postseason seven straight times between 1994 and 2001." Remind me again of Mike Milbury's rationale for firing Lavvy. I think it was because he didn't hold the respect of the clubhouse. Who's respect? Alexi Yashin? Was it the guys Mike would love to move right now like Niinimaa, Bates or Parrish? Mike Milbury has to be the biggest fool currently wearing an expensive suit in the NHL. Time again for Mad Mike to go into the stands and beat somebody with a shoe. Then he could at least claim insanity.
According to Wikipedia, Milbury is quoted in 2000 as saying, "If we are not better immediately....and if we are not a playoff team in the near future then it's off with my head." Well, the clock struck midnight long ago, but Isles owner, Charles Wang, seems to be sticking with him. Tis a far, far better thing "the Donger" is doing for the rest of the league by leaving Mike in place than any other owner has ever done before. Let's look at some of the players the Isles might have right now if it wasn't for that meddling Milbury:
- Olli Jokinen (traded with Luongo for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha)
- Todd Bertuzzi (traded with Bryan McCabe and 3rd round selection that ended up being Jarkko Ruutu to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden.)
- Bryan Smolinski (sent to the Kings with Palffy and pucks for several players including Jokinen and Mathew Biron)
- Raffi Torres (traded for head case Janne Niinimaa and now gone Brad Isbister for Raffi and pucks)
- Zedeno freakin' Chara (traded for Yashin, his model girlfriend and a months worth of cute mock turtlenecks)
- Wade almost as freakin' Redden (traded for 3 guys including long gone Berard and Marty Straka)
- Bryan Berard (traded with pucks for Felix Potvin)
- Bryan McCabe (part of the Linden deal)
- Roberto Luongo (Gone in the Kvasha/Parrish deal)
This weekend's home-and-home was tough to watch, because it reminded me too much of the final days of the Maurice regime. I wouldn't wish that on anybody...except maybe Eric Godard.