Monday, May 08, 2006

First Call on a Hockey Blogger Summit

I've had an idea for awhile, and I thought I might put it out on the net before it leaves me and the hockey blog community moves on to summer pursuits. The Acid Queen mentioned in one of her comments that she only knew face-to-face around three of the folks who frequent her blog. I know nobody.

I would like to pitch the idea of a Hockey Blogger Summit to take place some time next season. A weekend where the great, the near-great, and the wanna-be hockey bloggers like me get together to meet, share ideas, discuss technology and revenue generating ideas, trade smack, and take in a couple of games. I would love hear how IwoCPO built the A2Y empire in so little time. I'd love to hear James Mirtle's take on the blurring lines between journalist and blogger. Maybe Mike from Confessions could entertain us with his ardent defense of Brooks Orpik once again. I would love to see the Acid Queen arm-wrestle all comers. We might get Lyle Richardson to give the keynote address. I don't mean to leave anybody out, just to tease the concept.

So, the thought is out there. I'm not sure where. I'm not sure when. It's got to be an accessible place, somewhat centrally located with reasonable hotel rates and affordable/available game ticket prices. Chicago comes to mind-maybe ATL, Nashville or St. Louis. I'm no Julie-your-cruise-director, and we have no union coffers or association travel budget to draw on, so I'm not volunteering to do any event management, but I can probably get my carcass to the agreed upon location. We might set up a paypal account and gather funds to rent a club box. Maybe somebody has friends in high places and can get us a deal. Regardless, I would want to keep it on the cheap out of the gate. If we're heading for the ATL, I'd want to save my pennies for CNN stuff and those yummy green cheeseburgers they offer at Philips Arena.

Feel free to talk amongnst yourselves.

19 comments:

The Acid Queen said...

Arm wrestle, my ass! We're talking steel cage match, followed by a quick round or two of the dozens!

Actually, Nashville would be great for me--one of my best friends lives there, so I can stay with her in exchange for being her kitchen bitch/climbing tree for her adorable little cat.

Weekend of the Army-Navy game would be best, so Da Chief and I are too busy jeering Army to possibly wind up killing each other.

That said, I'm trying to get to the Draft in June. Golbez owes me a cheese dog or two.

CasonBlog said...

I love Nashville. Unlike Raleigh, they don't roll up the sidewalks at 5pm. I'd like to find a weekend where there are back-to-back games so the group could take in a couple of games. We've got time. I'll probably re-visit this concept once the new schedule is announced. I hope it has legs. It could make for a great event.

Ingmar "W" Bergman said...

This sounds like a great idea. I'd definitely make my way over for this.

CasonBlog said...

There we go. The concept has global potential. I am now envisioning the great debate between you and Golbez. Good vs. Evil for all eternity.

Ingmar "W" Bergman said...

My beard will squash his puny arguments. ;)

IwoCPO said...

I am absolutely, without question, in. AQ's idea regarding the Army/Navy game is a great idea. Early December in Nashville.

CasonBlog said...

All we need is a core of enthusiasts and the rest will follow. Hopefully the idea will spread a bit and we'll roll into the post-draft period ready to work out some details. Having you on board is a coup.

Michael said...

Very interesting.

I could have a powerpoint presentation with a zapruder-like clip to watch over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

;)

The Acid Queen said...

And I'll do like Bluto and the rest of Delta House and throw stuff at the screen. :p

CasonBlog said...

Do I need to be looking for a grassy knoll in Nashville?

IwoCPO said...

My presence may be looked upon unfavorably there. I seem to have offended a few of the Pred faithful. AQ may have to serve as my bodyguard.

CasonBlog said...

Let's hope Bubba has either a short attention span or a gentle heart. It would be good to have a blogger on the ground in the host city. Isn't the warehouse district of pubs right across the street from the Gaylord Center? I think there's a Wendy's across the street from the RBC.

Jes G┼Ĺlbez said...

If it didn't cost $2,000 to fly there and back, I'd probably go.

F'in fuel costs!!! >:(

CasonBlog said...

Jes-Keep the door open to the idea if you can. I think your presence is essential if we want to grow this from concept to reality. No set place or time yet.

The Acid Queen said...

Asking me to be the bodyguard of a Red Wings fan is like asking a fox to guard a chicken coop.

Chief, if you kept your yap shut and didn't act like an ass (like your hero Chelios), then the Preds fans wouldn't be wanting to curb-stomp you. :p

Ingmar "W" Bergman said...

$2,000? Are you flying first-class? ;)

It would cost me about $1250 to Fly from Stockholm via Amsterdam to Nashville (via Albany).

Isn't Chelios everybodys hero?

Ingmar "W" Bergman said...

And back to Stockholm of course.

The Acid Queen said...

I see what Jes' problem is--he's flying from YVR to BNA, when he should take the train to Seattle and then fly from SEA to RDU and then drive out to BNA with me, then drive back to RDU with me and fly from RDU to SEA and then take the train back to Vancouver.

$300, d00d. RT Train ticket + RT plane ticket. $320 if you want to throw gas money at me for the drive from R'lyeh to Nashville.

Drew said...

I'm new to the community, but this is a great idea. My wife and I were discussing a trip to Nashville, that sounds like a good place.

I know it's 13 months away, but if anybody is in Columbus for the 2007 Entry Draft, let me know.