Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Rebel without a clue walks

According to today's N&O, the Carolina Hurricanes decided not to press charges against one Davis Jones, the box cutter wielding vigilante historian who sought to shred the Hurricanes jerseys affixed to the statues on the state capital grounds last spring. Davis apparently remains unreconstructed, defiant and without any sense of humor about the whole Stanley Cup Championship run thing.

I think Andy Jackson would be proud to align his likeness with the Hurricanes ascent to glory. Yup, Old Hickory would have been a hockey fan - a southern hockey fan. Jackson was frontier populist. He liked to think himself the champion of the underdog in a world dominated by eastern aristocrats. In Jackson's eyes, such modern day "aristocrats" might include...oh, I don't know, Toronto-fan/journalist, MSG Network-fan/journalist and/or Habs-fan/journalist.

Jackson would have also been the classic ugly hockey fan. He'd be Mel Gibson on a bender. He'd be drunk by the end of the first period, drooling and spilling his jumbo Miller Light on the poor family in front of him. He'd also repeatedly run down to bang the glass and scream obscenities at the refs or Darcy Tucker or Bobby Holik (I'm Ok with the latter two).

One of the best (and goriest) books I ever read is called The Frontiersman by Allan Eckert. The hero of the book is the largely forgotten frontiersman Simon Kenton. Kenton was everything Daniel Boone got credit for being - times ten. Eckert describes an event in Kentucky when Andy Jackson, in the Kaintuck with a survey party, walks into a frontier pub and challenges the toughest man in the town to a fight. The crowd points to Kenton as the toughest man in town, but Simon initially refuses to brawl. After constant goading from the inebriated Jackson, Kenton takes Hickory out back and kicks his arse. On second thought, Jackson probably would have fit in more as a Buffalo fan. Can't you just picture him shirtless and screaming profanities at passing Caniacs in the RBC lot?

I think the Canes should at least pursue a civil case against Jones and get him to pay for the damage to Hurricane property. The fact that some commission didn't follow proper procedures in authorizing the display of the jerseys doesn't give citizen Jones the right to go the vigilante vandal route. I think the Canes deserve reparations and Mr. Jones needs to look into some anger management therapy.

5 comments:

Stormbringer said...

I think the Canes should at least pursue a civil case against Jones and get him to pay for the damage to Hurricane property. The fact that some commission didn't follow proper procedures in authorizing the display of the jerseys doesn't give citizen Jones the right to go the vigilante vandal route. I think the Canes deserve reparations and Mr. Jones needs to look into some anger management therapy.

AMEN.

I am so glad to know that I'm not completely insane in my small desire for the Canes to give this idiot a good swift kick in the butt AND balls, be it in court, or elsewhere.

It still scares me to think of how our favorite so-called "sports news source" in Bristol would treat such news. But hey, it certainly wouldn't be the first time they have knocked down the Canes. So, if the Canes ever changed their ever lovin' minds on how to deal with Mr. Jones (great, now I'm going to have a certain Counting Crows song running through my head all day), I say "Bring it on!" to ESPeeN and "coverage".

CasonBlog said...

Didn't see ESPN this am. They are deep into baseball, and I'm not. I think Herr Jones is just another under-medicated hothead cracker with lofty claims to a family legacy he has let down.

The song your reference has been in my personal top 10 for 10 years. If you ever see the Crows live, they don't do Mr. Jones right. They slow it to a dirge and Adam talks thru much of it. I guess he struggles with the role that song played in their rise. But we all want to be "big, big stars," right?

Stormbringer said...

Oh, "Mr. Jones" is easily my most favorite Counting Crows song. So that said, there are *far worst* songs that could be stuck in my head. ;D

This talk about the CC makes me think of something hilarious my dad heard on the radio one morning...some DJ once uttered it took some time, but it then finally dawned on them who/what the CC's vocalist sounded like. Imagine what Van Morrison would sound like when he's in a snit over having a potential parking space stolen. :D

CasonBlog said...

Adam seems to spend time in a funk or snit. The burden of creative genius, I guess. I love just about every Crows song I've ever heard. Van Morrison is gonna be in Phoenix later this month. Think I should go?

Stormbringer said...

It's up to you to decide...the only recent Van Morrison I've heard is him doing "Moondance" on VH1 Classic in a video clip from a concert that took place five or six years ago. He had a band called the Blue Notes backing him up (the same Blue Notes as those on Neil Young's This Note's For You?)...but, they were going so fast with the music, that Van and his vocals could BARELY keep up with it. He was practically speed-talking AND huffing and puffing out the lyrics.

I cannot emphasize enough how much I hated that...especially since "Moondance" is easily my most favorite Van Morrison song ever, AND not to mention one of the best jazz-rock tunes, period.

So all of that said, perhaps the concert would be worth attending if the Blue Notes aren't there. If they are there...forget it. Of course, that *was* five or six years ago...you'd like to think they would have had A LOT more practice with Morrison's stuff by now.