Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years Later

I was in a meeting in the McKimmon Center at NC State University when the carnage began. I remember stepping out to ask my boss a question. He had the TV on and I briefly saw the smoke and flames coming out of the first tower. I went back to my meeting and told my friends from the ad agency that it looked like terrorists had again planted a bomb in the WTC. By the time the meeting broke up, everybody in the McKimmon Center was watching in horror.

I remember my hands shaking uncontrollably that afternoon. I faxed my contact information to the Naval Reserve Command in New Orleans that afternoon. Still haven't heard back. I guess they don't need a 44 year-old former Navy helicopter pilot who's been out the cockpit for thirteen years. If Al Qaeda ever gets submarines, maybe I'll get the call. Iran has submarines...

I watched snips of the "Path to 9/11" docudrama last night. I don't get all the political grandstanding of the last week. I took two things away from last night's episode.

  1. You can't win a war when politics and bureaucractic infighting are the paramount concerns (Clinton or Bush - no difference)
  2. We are fighting some really evil bastards
The second was by far the greater impact of the film on me.

To those who risk everything in defense of our freedom, and for the cause of freedom in our world, I say thanks. To my friend Captain Dan in Iraq, I say happy hunting and I look forward to pounding beers and listening to good music under the clear Tucson night sky when you get back.

No comments: