Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Chuck Kaiton Euro Pronunciation Guide

Yesterday's trade between the Canes and Rangers involved young Czech, Jakub Petruzalek. It got me thinking about the strange way Chuck Kaiton pronounces the names of many Eastern Euros. Radim Vrbata is Zad-im Vuh-bata, Marek Malik is Mal-ek Mal-eek, Alexi Kovalev is Alexi Kov-all-yev. Maybe Kaiton is sticking to the slavo-euro-phonetically correct method of pronunciation, but his way is definitely not standard across hockey media.

Now I didn't catch Chuck's radio call of the game last night, and if he mentioned the trade, I don't know how he presented the name, but I'll hazard a few guesses in this forum. Readers are encouraged to either let me know how he did it or offer their own takes. Here are mine:

  • Yey-koob Pah-true-za-leck
  • Jay-cub Pet-ro-zahlek
  • Nic-0h-lie Chow-shesh-que
  • Bore-at Sagg-die-yev

3 comments:

J.P. said...

Only tangentially related, Mike Emrick puts out a Pronunciation Guide every year (though I can't find a version more recent than 2002-03).

It's not entirely accurate (and obviously not current), but it's somewhat interesting and available here (warning - PDF).

d-lee said...

I always think it's funny that Chuck and the letter K pronounces Frantisek Kaberle's name as kah-bur-luh, or occasionally kah-bur-lah, even though Frankie prefers kah-bur-lay. Last I heard, Tomas prefers the kah-bur-luh pronunciation.

Other than the ones you mentioned, there are a few that drive me crazy, but I can't think of them right off the top of my head.

Alecsei said...

Alexei Kovalev is pronounced:

Ah-lye-ksyey Kuh-vah-lyov

This is correct russian pronounciation.
I'm tired of hearing retards inventing phonetic fallacies, and what's the point of putting phonetic information on NHL.com player pages if they're not even correct?


Alecsei (same name as Kovy!)