Friday, December 08, 2006

John Lennon, 26 Years Later

So play the game "Existence" to the end,
of the beginning, of the beginning...
image: (beatlesuk)

I was sitting in a dorm room -Anderson Hall at Miami University - 26 years ago today with some pals watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell broke the news about John Lennon's murder. At the time, I was deeply saddened and actually pissed that I had to listen to that old blowhard tell me about the importance of Lennon. WTF did he know from John Lennon?

I went through a phase in high school when I morphed from having no interest in music at all to discovering the Beatles (and Steely Dan, to be honest). I bought a knock-off violin bass (Univox) and a crappy old bass amp with a bad tube that would fade out after around 10 minutes, just because I wanted to be Paul McCartney.

I had a pal in college and flight school who I used to debate whether Paul or John was the greater Beatle. Was the melody more important or the lyrics? I was a Paul guy. I still dig the melody and rhythm more than the lyrics to most tunes.

But the Lennon songs remain the most edgy and adventurous- Strawberry Fields and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, and the two versions of Revolution, just to name a few. If you are not a Beatlemanic, you may not know the song, "Tomorrow Never Knows" from Revolver. To me, it is the quintessential John Lennon Beatles song. I don't think Beatles songs are available on ITunes, and it looks like you can't even sample it on Amazon or B&N, but you all may know of another way to get the song or the whole album via the Web.

3 comments:

PB said...

Of all the acid trip type of songs that the Beatles constructed, "Tomorrow Never Knows" is my all time favorite.

It's one of John's finest.

I had a conversation with one of my students today about his favorite genre: Heavy Metal. He started off the conversation with, "Do you know what today is? The death of the Pantera guitarist. It should be a national holiday.

I responded, "Only if they give us a holiday for John Lennon first."

He didn't get it.

Yep...getting older we are...

Bill Purdy said...

Hey Scott, here's a good Beatles-related blogpost I think you'll enjoy reading: Good Beatles Post.

Keep up the good work.

CasonBlog said...

Use to be you couldn't escape the Beatles influence in music. I think we are getting old if kids starting point is urrgh, Pantera.

Great link Bill. I just sent a note to JP describing how much I dug Ringo's drumming on Tomorrow...