One look at the standings right now will tell you that the Flyers are about the only door mat in the Eastern Conference. The Canes lost 5-2 to that door mat on December 31st. The only other bad club in the east is the Florida Panthers, and it's only by the grace of God and some timely Kitty meltdowns that they too haven't embarrassed the Canes in recent weeks.
There are seven clubs within 8 pts or less of the Canes today. Nearly all believe they have as much chance to go deep as anybody else. Here a short list of Hurricanes who GM Cason would be ready to offer a change of scenery to right now:
- Trevor Letowski - Hollowman has 5 friggin points and still one more year on his contract arrrgh!!!
- Bret Hedican - Hip, hand, finger and getting too old and brittle issues. He's the team's #2 Hanger Queen after Frankie Kaberle, and Bret too is under contract thru next season. Maybe he can land a cushy front office job before then. How does senior associate director of player development sound Mr. Heddy?
- Dennis Seidenberg - He's been nothing short of Bad Luck Schleprockberg since the deal. I'm having nightly Oleg Tverdovsky flashbacks. His butt sliding, puck deflecting off the armpit and into the goal while knocking the net off it's mooring trick was an instant classic.
- Eric Belanger - The 80-something-ith ranked centerman behind such NHL luminaries as Glen Metropolit and Randy Robitaille. Funny thing is, Matt Cullen is right there with him.
- John Grahame - I'd almost work a deal to bring back Marty Gerber to give Crackers a change of scenery...but not for $3.7 mil per.
Guys who are close to dead to me right now:
- Andrew Ladd - How long till this former #4 overall pick starts doing something other than crashing into walls and going on the IR?
- Tim Gleason - Hanger Queen #3. I'm withholding the last ounce of venom-rich final judgement only because he's young like Ladd.
I'll tell one guy who shouldn't be on any shit list - David Tanabe. I'm riding shotgun on the "Snuggles" bandwagon right about now.
Time for JR to work some pre-deadline, get out their first, deal magic. He probably can't get much for some guys stuck on knucklehead or underachieve, so I think it's gonna have to be a prospect/pick/cash deal like last season. Owen Nolan, Mike Knuble, Marco Sturm (maybe), Brad Stuart and our old pal, Aaron Ward, are guys I'd look at cutting a deal for. Ranger-Fan is way down on AWard. As an added bonus, I'd even stuff a free Trevor Letowski into the stick bag of any Hurricane involved in a deal.