Monday, July 30, 2007

CasonBlog at two years

David Lee had a post the other day announcing the second anniversary of Red and Black. Made me go back and take a look at when I started this mess. I launched CasonBlog on July 15, 2005 with a post in opposition to the sweeping sentiment among Nor-Easter's who wanted to close down southern NHL clubs-to contract the league down to a base of more "worthy" markets.

Even back then I was fussing at the league marketing gurus and hoping the "new NHL" would let clubs other than the Devils have a shot at winning it all. What a homer I was (am). Here's a snip of that first post:

Wings fans will always be there. Hurricane fans are going to have to be won
and won back. I think clubs like the Hurricanes will use this CBA and the
forecasts of impending doom to rise from the ashes with a new and better product
and more focused marketing effort.

Back then David and Her Majesty were about the only Caniac bloggers in the known world. Now Carolina on Ice, Paperwhites in Season, Canes Country, Penalty Killer, Life and Times of a Caniac and this newbie, Beth. And Hockey, have joined the fray. The more the merrier. Just have a take more than once every two weeks, craft your own style and don't disappear within the first two months.

I was too much the novice in July, 2005 to think C/B would be anything other than an experiment in this form of media-something I would test-fly for use in my job. Had I been more prescient, I would have crafted a slicker nom de guerre for this blog.

This blog attracts around 100 unique visitors per day. Many more when the Canes are about to win the Stanley Cup. Less when I go to Joplin, Missouri. Not Emperor Paul kinda daily numbers, but a steady flow of new and old readers (nearly 50,000 in total). I greatly appreciate everybody who takes the time to visit.

11 comments:

Marsha said...

Belated congrats on your 2 year anniversary! I found you thru Her Majesty's site (via BoltsMag) when I fell in love with the Bolts and the NHL. Your posts have zing! (and everybody knows it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that zing)

PB said...

Happy Birthday/Anniversary and all of that!

When I started, you were one of the few bloggers to recognize me out here and I appreciate it. Better yet, we were able to see the 'Yotes get stomped the Sharks live and in living color.

Maybe we can do that again during the upcoming season.

(still suffering serious withdrawl after the conclusion of the Tour de France and the 2006-2007 NHL season)

The Acid Queen said...

Happy 2nd, dude.

Filed my FAFSA today and finally got the last of my old student loans consolidated--here's hoping all goes as planned and I'm sitting in a classroom at State come the end of August.

Bubba said...

Congratulations! Keep up the good work!

WufPirate said...

Keep 'em coming CB.

I'd say that the Hurricanes came out of the lockout season fairly well...

Kevin said...

And thank you for taking the time to entertain us. CB is still a regular stop, even if the boiling hatred between our teams has subsided.

PB said...

Hey Cason, you're famous:

CasonBlog is featured on NHL.com

PB said...

Heh...

Let's try that one again:

Cason's Blog is linked here!

magnolia_mer said...

You rock, Casey! Best wishes on your 2nd anniversary and thanks for welcoming this lil' novice into the fold.

CasonBlog said...

The great red lidless eye of Paul Kukla has found us. Must put on the ring...

Thanks everybody.

CasonBlog said...

OBTW Your Majesty. Cultivate somebody in the scholarships office and try and Id. some money out there in the form of grants, scholarships, etc. you might apply for. There are community organizations, alumni clubs, etc. that have scholarship money they need to give out. One of the biggest mistakes college-bound folks make is not digging deeply to find financing options other than Pell Grants and loans.