Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Road Weary and Songs in the Key of Life

The Official Pace Car for the Quittin' Time Rush for Smokes and Bud Lite in Joplin, Missouri

I've slept in my own bed only six nights in the month of July. Last week, it was a roadie to Joplin, Misery for volleyball camp with C/B kid #1.

You know those worn old flannel shirts that Larry the Cable Guy wears? I'm talking about the ones with the sleeves cut off and the matted and frayed threads around the arm holes. You can buy those off the rack in Joplin...and in parts of Oklahoma. I also think Joplin is the rusted-out, window busted, running on the compact spare, 1980's Oldsmobile capital of the world. And to top it all off, I think I got malaria while I was there.

-------------------------------------
Da Chief tagged me for the favorite songs-a-thon. Hey Chief, can you still get two-for-one T-Bones at a certain downtown hotel in the land of dust and Saudi-infested British pubs?


My list is an ever-changing one. Today, it would look like this:

1. Tie-Deacon Blues/Aja-Steely Dan: Had an 8-track cassette of Aja when I was in high school. I still get the tingle up the spine when I hear the openings of both songs.

Tasty Lyrics:
I play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whiskey all night long
And die behind the wheel

2. Tie-What's Going On?/Mercy, Mercy Me-Marvin Gaye: rich with layers of Marvin vocals, vibes, James Jamerson bass lines, and cool horns.

Tasty Lyrics:
Picket lines and picket signs
Don't punish me with brutality
Talk to me, so you can see
Oh, what's going on



3. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears: The two brothers dancing in front of the abandoned gas station in the desert. Still my favorite MTV video.

Tasty Lyrics:
Say that you'll never, never, never, never need it
One headline, why believe it?


4. Tomorrow Never Knows-The Beatles: Most Beatles stuff has been played to death for decades. This one is too out there for mainstream radio. And a Pink Floyd-caliber great tune when you are loaded and on the stereo headphones.

Tasty Lyrics:
Or play the game
existence to the end
of the beginning
of the beginning...



5. A Long December-Counting Crows: Adam Duritz at the peak of self-flagellation, but still managing to hold on to a smattering of hope. This is song I love listening to during the best of times and the worst of times.

Tasty Lyrics:
And its been a long December and there's reason to believe
Maybe this year will be better than the last
I can't remember all the times I tried to tell my myself
To hold on to these moments as they pass

Bonus Track: Mean to Me-Crowded House: The boys from Te Awamutu got me thru a Persian Gulf Deployment in the late 80's. I owe them props.

Tasty Lyrics:
So I talked to you for an hour
In the bar of a small town hotel
You asked me what I was thinking
I was thinking of a padded cell

I'm probably late on the tagging front, but here goes. I tag:

Joe Ovies of 850 The Buzz (Like Her Majesty, just trying to get mainstreamers to play ball)

Kevin of BfloBlog: A thoughtful sage from hockey's Mordor

Mer of Paperwhites in Season-A woman of impeccable musical taste. I can't wait to read her list.

3 comments:

IwoCPO said...

Aha...if you're talking about a certain hot spot in Bahrain, yes you can.

Deacon Blues is an absolute classic. My Old School is up there too.

magnolia_mer said...

Casey, I'm-a-blushin'...

Excellent list - I can't disagree with you on a thing. I had a tough time choosing mine.

CasonBlog said...

Mer-Your list does not suck.

Chief- Know it well...and the Mexican joint run by Indians.