Sunday, February 17, 2008

What Happens in Vegas...

Greetings from Vegas, baby. We're up here for the Las Vegas Invitational volleyball tournament. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 junior girls teams playing at around a dozen venues in Vegas and Henderson. My first trip to this place. It took 45 minutes to drive from one end of he Strip to the other. The water show at the Bellagio was simply fnntastic. Bad Elvis impersonators on many a street corner. I'm talking about fat guys in white polyester costumes and flowing mini-capes. Guys with Richard Nixon widow's peaks trying to emulate the King's pompadour. The Japanese tourists seemed to really dig the Elvis's.

C/B kid #1 and her squad, playing in the open division, got mauled pretty good by two SOCAL teams and a bunch of East German-looking girls from Idaho. Played the second match against a team that has 5 of their starting 6 already committed to playing at Div I schools. Got to chat a few minutes with NC State's head coach, Rita Stubbs. At any one time, you might have 10-20 coaches watching a match. Coaches from Washington State, USC, Colorado State, Syracuse, UC Davis, George Washington, Arizona State were among the ones watching my kid's team play. There are coaches here from schools I've never heard of. Saw a guy in what I thought was a Miami Redhawks polo-had the Redhawks logo on it-but the name on the shirt was something like "Holy Name." Games all afternoon today, then I think me and the missus will hit the Strip.

Needless to say, I'm out of Canes range for the duration of the long weekend. Glad to see resolve instead of despair or panic in Hurricanes world. I just hope Mats Sundin gets traded soon, because I'm absolutely sick of every day being an As the Leafs Turn soap opera. How about a couple day moratorium on Foppa and Sundin updates that only say there is nothing to update?

No comments: