Friday, July 04, 2008

Frankie Kaberle-Destination Unknown?

As the dust settles on the first week of free agency, looks to me like moving Kaberle and his modest salary might not be that big of a deal. I'm sure some clubs will leave roster space open for rising prospects, but there are a few clubs who might need a veteran puck-moving defenseman who scored the winning goal in the 2006 Stanley Cup final. The LA Kings only have five blueliners on their active roster. Bret Hedican might end up a late addition to the Kings roster now that San Jose has both landed Rob Blake and Miami University's own, Danny Boyle.

The Canes bestus trading buddies, the Ottawa Senators, have three defensemen on their active roster with Andrej Meszaros an RFA. Right now they don't have an offensive-minded defenseman. RFA Antoine Vermette is still dangling out there as well. Might Bryan Murray be fleeced again? He let Mike Commodore go. He let Cory Stillman go. The Canes still have Joe Corvo and Paddy Eaves-at bargain prices....not to rub it in.

The Buffaslugs are also short on blueliners. They're also trying to unload Maxim Afinogenov.

Denis Seidenberg had a pretty solid year last season. He'd be a nice 5th or 6th defensemen on some squad this October. If JR keeps him. That would be fine with me. If he could be part of a deal that moved Kaberle or helped the Canes re-stock the system, that would be fine as well.

So I think there are some easy deals to be done that would involve moving Kaberle for prospects and/or picks. There also might be the possibility of a more complex deal that might bring in a solid forward. Such a deal might mean packaging the recently signed Tuomo Ruutu or possibly Chad Larose. I think the fun has only just begun.

Other UFAs I like:
Pavol Dimetra
Jason Williams

RFAs I somewhat covet:
Jay Bouwmeester - dream on C/B
Patrick O'Sullivan

6 comments:

Marsha said...

Destination Unknown? You a Missing Persons fan, Cason? Boy does that 80s band bring back memories . . .

CasonBlog said...

Even though I enjoy 70's music much more, the great hooks seem to come out of the 80's. Thanks for chiming in Marsha. Bumming over the loss of our boy Danny Boyle?

Marsha said...

Yup. All my Boyler-man bobble heads are bowing their heads to join me in mourning. This blows chunks!

Canesrdabest said...

I am waiting for Kaberle to be taken, only time will tell. Check out my blog.

d-lee said...

Hey Scott. I dunno if you remembered, but you just had the third birthday of C/B. Congrats!

WufPirate said...

Happy Blogiversary from Newman and myself!